What is English for specific purposes?
English for Specific Purposes (ESP) is a learner-centered approach to teaching English that focuses on developing communicative competence in a specific area such as: accounting, aviation, business, IT, teaching, engineering, medicine and so on. Learners at Reach Out Academy are also exposed to English workplace cultural terminologies and real world English skills practice.
ESP programmes are different from general English language courses as they tend to focus on specific areas and needs:
- Designed to meet the specific needs of the learners
- Related in content (themes and topics) to particular disciplines or occupations
- Use authentic work-specific documents and materials
- Promote cultural awareness and seeks to improve intercultural competency
- Deliver intermediate and advanced level language training
Reach Out Academy English for Specific Purposes Programme offers teaching and training that highlights and targets the language skills needed for authentic industry and workplace English language use.
Types of ESP Courses
- Aviation English
- Financial English
- Engineering English
- Petroleum English
- Business English
- Information Technology English
- English for Tourism
- English for Cabin Crew
- English for Hospitality